Tuesday, September 20, 2016

RAISING ARIZONA


"I'll be takin' these Huggies...and whatever cash you got."

This is my favorite comedy. I don't know how many times I've seen it, but I was given the nickname "H.I." by my friend, Richard Blair, because I basically had the whole movie memorized.

Short synopsis: Recidivist criminal Herbert "H.I." McDunnough (Nicholas Cage) falls in love with, and marries police officer Edwina, aka "Ed" (Holly Hunter). They desperately want children, but find out that Ed is barren.

They try to adopt, but H.I.'s extensive criminal record keeps that from happening. One night they see on the news that local furniture store owner, Nathan Arizona, and his wife just had five babies, dubbed the "Arizona Quints", thanks to their use of fertility drugs. So, like any reasonable couple would do, they decide to kidnap one of the Arizona babies and raise him as their own.

Craziness ensues!!! 

The thing that sets this movie apart is the writing. Every scene contains something quotable. When they go to the fertility doctor and find that Ed could not have children, instead of saying, "The doctor told us Ed could not have children", H.I. explains by saying "The doctor said her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase".


The movie is also notable for launching (or semi-launching) the careers of Nicholas Cage, Holly Hinter, John Goodman and Joel and Ethan Coen.

I could go on, but just get it on Netflix and get ready for 90 minutes of brilliant silliness.

Let me know what YOU think about the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment